Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Chicken Salsa Soup

Cold weather is upon us! Fall is here, but that air has a decidedly Winter bite to it. I was inspired by some soup recipes I found on Pinterest this week, and decided to stock up my freezer with some lunches for my husband. As you can see from the half-empty crock, I had to work fast on getting it into the freezer, because everyone was eating it!

I started out following someone else's recipe, but by the time I finished, it in no way resembled the original, so I'm giving it it's own name. The soup doesn't actually call for salsa, but it gets kind of a salsa vibe since you're using a lot of the same ingredients.


Leni Notes:
~This recipe filled an 8 qt. crock pot, we got 12 good-sized servings out of this.
~A nice crusty bread or grilled garlic bread would be a nice accompaniment. 

Ingredients:
6 Cups water
4 raw chicken breasts
2 (30 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (30 oz) can black beans
1 Cup tomato paste
1 (4 oz) can diced jalapeƱos 
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 large onion, diced
6 tsp Chicken Better than Bouillon base or 6 chicken bouillon cubes
4 tsp chopped garlic (equivalent of 8 cloves) 
4 tsp cumin
4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne powder
8 oz. Pepper Jack cheese, shredded

~Place all ingredients in crock, except for the cheese.
~Cook on low for 8 hours.
~Pull chicken out, and place on plate. 
~The chicken will shred very easily, shred and place back into crock.
~Sprinkle cheese over the top and mix in.


No comments:

Post a Comment