Monday, May 28, 2012

Salisbury Steak and Mashed Potatoes

If you follow my Facebook at all, you'll know that I spent last night sitting up until the wee hours talking with my best girlfriend. We were so engrossed in our conversation, we had no idea that it was 3 am! All that to say, I've been off kilter all day, which is why I'm posting my regular Monday recipe at 11 pm!

I had decided on a crock pot meal today so we would be free to spend Memorial Day doing whatever we felt like doing, (which ended up including a nap!) This is one of my meals that I never measure, so I am attempting to write it down for you. On very little sleep. Check back for edits in the coming days... ;o)

I urge you to remove from your thought process everything you might know about Salisbury Steak. No cream of mushroom soup. No cream of chicken (what?!) or canned mushrooms. And for heaven's sake, don't cook it in a microwave! This meal is simple and easy without taking nasty shortcuts.




Leni's Notes:

~I made these with sirloin patties this time, which were very lacking in flavor despite my best efforts. They just didn't take on the great flavor of the gravy. Next time I will make a meat-loaf type mixture for the patties.
~Planning to use the leftover gravy with homemade meatballs.
~Serve with rice, noodles or mashed potatoes. But if you really love your family, you'll make the mashed potatoes. Real ones. With lumps.

Ingredients:

Roux:
1/2 C butter
1 C flour
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 quart beef broth (Rachael Ray was the choice today)
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Everything else:
Burger patties (straight burger, meat loaf mixture or meatballs, whatever floats your boat)
flour for dredging patties
olive oil for browning patties
8-16 oz  sliced fresh mushrooms, depending on how many you like
1/4 C dry onion

Instructions:
To make your roux, melt the butter, and slowly add in the flour, whisking as you go.
Let this cook, while sirring, for about a minute, and then start to drizzle in the broth, continuing to whisk so it remains smooth.
Add in spices and Worcestershire sauce.
Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally so it doesn't stick. When mixture is bubbly and thick, remove from heat and set aside.

In my trusty cast iron pan, I heated some olive oil and then browned the patties that I had dredged in flour. As the patties finish, stack them in your greased crock pot. Kind of criss-cross them, leaving some space for the sauce to flow between.

When they are all done, pour just a bit of water in the pan to deglaze it, and pour all of that into the crock also. Top with the mushrooms and onions, and cover all with the roux.

Cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 4.

Since you've come this far, go ahead and make the mashed potatoes! Your family will cheer. Or at least mine did. ;o)


~

No comments:

Post a Comment